If you like quinoa your will love this summer quinoa salad. Light but filling it is a nutritious powerhouse. And it packs well making it perfect for a potluck.
Do you like quinoa? Or do you find it to be just another diet fad? I was really skeptical about it at the beginning.
But I was also at a point in my life where I was determined to expand my palate.
I was so sick of eating the same foods over and over again! Has this ever happened to you? How did you deal with it?
I had made the decision that from here on out I would start a taste test competition. In other words I would simply stop refusing to eat something just because it was not what I was used to. I would simply accept it and taste a bite. Or two. If I didn’t like it I gave myself the permission not to eat it. But I had to try it. And if it magically showed up again I would have to do the taste test again. Who knows?! I might like it this time.
As you already figured out I treated myself as a toddler, regarding food. For reference I was 29 when I started. I still to this day do it. And you know what? My eating preferences changed. I now like a LOT more foods than what I used to and feel better about it too.
For a number of reasons:
- As a mom when I ask my kid to just try one bite I know how it feels like. Which helps me to cope with it better.
- I set an example. Sometimes I try something new in front of him too. So he knows he is not alone in this. Grown ups do it to!
- I am healthier. Since I eat a wider variety of fruits and vegetables. This ensures that not only I don’t get bored of the same foods over and over (which can cause you to overeat) but I also and most importantly consume a lot more nutrients.
Summer Quinoa Salad
For the salad
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 Lebanese Cucumbers
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
Fro the dressing
- 2 Tbsn parsley
- 90 ml olive oil
- 1 tsn dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsn cappers (rinsed)
- 45 ml white wine vinegar
For the salad
- Cook the chicken in your preferred way. You can boil it, steam it, or roast it. You can even use leftovers.
- Cook the quinoa according to the packaging instructions. If you bought your quinoa in bulk, rinse the quinoa in cold water and drain in a fine sieve. Bring 2 cups of water or stock toa aboil than add the quinoa. Lower the heat to a simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 10-13 min. Add the corn, frozen, and let it stand for 5 min. Fluff with a fork.
- While you let the quinoa stand put all ingredients for the dressing in a blender. Blend until smooth. You can change the consistency of the sauce by adjusting the amount of olive oil you add.
- Slice and/or dice the rest of ingredients. Place all ingredients into a big salad bowl and add the dressing 1/4 cup at a time. Toss and taste test. Season to taste.
- Notes: This salad can be consumed either hot or cold and it is even better on the next day as the flavors had time to meld together.
Want to remember this? Pin this summer quinoa salad to your favorite Pinterest Board!