Last week I shared a post on instagram that showed our freshly baked granola.
My 4 year-old son loves not only eating it but baking it too. Which I really appreciate because I love both too. Eating and making it with him. Besides it is such a straight forward recipe that we almost, almost, make no mess at all!
It is also a lot more economic to make it at home. Not to mention that the ingredient list is so much more mum friendly. And customisable, too! Besides, it is really fun to make with your little one. They can even choose some of the add-ins as well as measure the ingredients and stir. My little guy loves to use the spatula!
I was positively sure that I had already published a post about the recipe we use. Besides we make it so often; how could I not have? So, when someone asked what goes inside I happily wrote a reply that the recipe can be found on the blog and dutifully proceeded to add the link. Except, there was no post to be found! Can you even imagine my surprise?
As you can imagine it’s high time I remedy that.
At this point I would like to make some notes
- In our house we use this recipe mostly as a guide. Then we substitute ingredients at our discretion. And depending on what we have on hand. We almost never buy ingredients specifically to make granola. Except maybe for oats.
- The solid to liquid ratio is important. Try not to alter it too much.
- The baking time can vary wildly between ovens. I recommend supervising it closely toward the end the first few times you make it.
- I highly suggest you use a fan forced oven as, in my experience, it makes the granola crispier without burning it.
- The granola will keep for a week in an air-tight container, if you can keep it that long it is!
- We use our granola as topping for yogurt parfaits and oatmeal or as breakfast cereal.
Our favorite Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup crushed linseeds
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 cup roasted and salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice or water
- 1.5 tsn ground cinnammon
- Preheat oven at 320F. Put all dry ingredients into a big bowl and stir.
- Put all wet ingredients into a small sauce pan and heat on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix well to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and distribute the granola to form an even layer. Bake for 10 min and then stir. Bake for an additional 10 -15 min. You want your granola completely dry and golden brown. Let the granola dry on the counter to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.